“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
10 HABITS / 10 WEEKS
We recently started the last quarter of the year. And I’m going to be a slave of my phone until the year ends, I’d say.
But not in a negative way. I am going to be using my phone to help me with stringing up habits. Habits that I tried so hard to get used to for this year but kept failing and coming back at one.
This time, I’m going to do a double-down! I’ll try twice as harder than I ever did before.
It will be for a total of 72 days. 10 weeks. Today is when I re-start as today’s exactly halfway through the year before I celebrate my birthday again.
A total of 10 simple habits. If I can make it, you can too.
I want to make a change. And I will end the year with a bang! I promise!
You pick up a habit after 21 days, but I am pushing it further to make sure that these habits stick to me like a clingy ex-boyfriend who can’t get over you.
So I am taking a thorough challenge for my own improvement to serve as practice for the years to come. For a lifetime!
Let’s all find out where it takes me!
I created a new board in this app called Trello where I have laid out all the plans I have in mind on a daily basis – and what should happen hourly within the day.
I needed it to be that detailed as following these new habits will be intricate and overwhelming, so I wanted to do it on a schedule. Because if I don’t, things will surely get messed up. Imagine being awake around 9:45 PM and realizing I wasn’t able to do my work out for the day. That sucks, right?
I have tried a lot of things in the past – announcing my plans to the social media world – didn’t work. Joining group chats that will serve as my accountability partners – didn’t work. Told my family the diet I am doing – didn’t work. Downloaded tracking and running apps – didn’t work.
I kept doing the same failing strategies.
So, it was devastating in a sense, but I did learn one thing new. There is no one I can hold reliable for to accomplish my plans but myself.
So my strategy this time is to gain small habits and gradually improve them overtime.
My only plan is to be able to pick-up some healthier habits than what I am accustomed to.
Until recently, I still give in to junk foods. I barely get enough sleep. I am wide awake at night – tossing and turning, if not having a midnight snack. My water intake is not sufficient.
These are the bad habits I wanted to shut and shun away.
I want to choose myself over anything or anyone at this point. If I am not properly equipped health-wise, tons of other things and people will suffer.
As if I haven’t stressed it enough, I NEED TO CHOOSE MYSELF FIRST. I will need to fully cleanse this machine to get it revved up and running.
With that in mind, here are the habits I’d like to master, and get better on in time.
- Increase Liquid Intake – I suck at this. Big time! I think if there was a course for Dehydration Techniques in College, I would have probably graduated with honors. I wish to change this. I know there will be unimaginable changes that will happen in my life if I can do this. Nothing too big though. I just need to make sure I do 15 gulps per drinking session. Normally, my thirst is satisfied with 3-4 gulps. It may seem like I will drown if I try 15 at a time – but actually, it is doable. (Thanks, sis!)
- Work Out 5x A Week – Small scale workouts for starters just to increase my activity I’d say. I have prepared a 5-Day Workout Split that I’d probably share in another blog, but I wouldn’t be too hard on myself if I can’t follow through fully. I’ll consider taking a 5-10 minute walk a work out. Even general cleaning at home. Or dancing. But whenever I can, I will follow the plan to target several muscle areas of my body.
- Shower & Hygiene – “I’m not a perfect person. There’s many things I wish I didn’t do. But I continue learning.” Hahaha! I’d be a hypocrite if I say I never missed a day of bathing. I do, a lot. I’m human. And I stink! So I am listing this down here for goodness sake and don’t ask more questions. Yeah? ~_~
- Learn A New Language – As I said, I am obsessed with languages and I badly wanted to be multi-lingual. I don’t know. It’s not like I will take on the world one day. I just want to. And it doesn’t have to be something in-depth. 5 minutes will do. Watching a K-Drama will do.
- Feeding Window Starts At 4PM – I wanted to still continue Intermittent Fasting but instead of One Meal A Day (OMAD) which is kind of too overwhelming, I wanted to give myself more time to consume food. 4PM – 8 PM. That’s the only time I am allowing myself to eat. It’s not as hard for me anymore as I have practiced Intermittent Fasting in the past doing 16:8, 18:6, 20:4, OMAD or even Extended Fasts. So, I gave myself a little leeway on this.
- Fasting Window Starts At 8PM – I stop eating at this time at whatever cost. Pronto! This is to allow myself to be ready for sleep, and for my body to be fasting for a longer period of time. Also so that I quit indulging in midnight snacks which is just so much fun, I don’t know why. But yeah. Gotta help myself. *snigger*
- Follow The Ketogenic Diet – I wanted to be fat adapted by the end of the year and make sure my body does not rely on Glucose to work, but Fat. Yep! I don’t even need to stay in Ketosis, pretty much, but I am not going to discuss the what’s and how’s of that for now.
- Take Vitamins Every Day – I mean, let’s just get on with it. There are a lot of things my body does not produce naturally.
- Have A Nightly Skin Care Routine – “We are never ever ever getting…” any younger. Did you sing it too? I want to see myself having good skin for once in my life. Or at least better than what I have now? You know? Who doesn’t? I want to be the girl who has night regimes just for the heck of it.
- Have Sufficient Sleep – This is one of my major troubles. Sleep. For the longest time I never have had any consistent sleeping pattern at all. And it is not good. I sleep roughly about 3-4 hours a day and always interrupted as I always jump up because I couldn’t get into deep sleep. I can feel how much my body is suffering. It’s tired throughout the day and wide awake when everybody else is asleep. I am very nocturnal! But I know I can turn things around. I should teach my body clock before it takes a toll on me if it haven’t yet. I already experience tension headaches here and there, irritability, mood swings, and pains. I don’t want it to come to a point where it is irreversible. So I want to start now.
It will be nice if my friends won’t ask me out at this point in time to eat out and such as I try to develop these habits, unless of course if they are activities meant to help with my goals.
Daring and ambitious, I know. Aggressive and obnoxious, even. But please know that this is a dream and a goal. I know you guys will understand. ❤
The plan is simple – daily training of simple habits I can surely follow through.
I don’t want to overwhelm myself as it may backfire. I am keeping it as realistic as possible.
Diet & Meal Preparation – I am not following any diet as of this point apart from leaning away from carbs as much I can, and having a feeding & fasting window. I have also set an area where I can log my food intake, but also have prepared a list of meals I can follow daily.
Reminder Alarms – I tend to be forgetful, so until I can master all these habits, I will need help from my trusty phone’s alarms.
Exercise Routine – I have managed to create a 5-day split to target different muscle areas all over my body. I already have the formula, I just need to do them!
Distractions – While this may not be something new, please know that ALL my notifications in my phone are all off. So do know that when I reply, it means I really looked you up to check on you.) Apart from my alarms and my work app where I can be reached when needed at work – I am not notified of anything.
Habit Calendar – This is also something I hope will get me through. Not only will it serve as a reminder of what I needed to do within the day, it also makes me feel accountable for the tasks listed there, and thus a sense of accomplishment as a reward every time it is ticked. Dopamine helps!
If you are ready to take on this challenge with me, just print out this picture above, list down the habits you want in your system, and follow them every damn day.
I am with you all the way!